1. Always shoot in Manual. Critical snaps - keep a copy shot in Auto also. This way you will learn a lot.
2. Check the ISO before you shoot.Check the ISO before you shoot.Check the ISO before you shoot.
3. Remember the rule of thirds
4. On sunny days , especially with people facing the sun, better to overexpose. (In fact it is better to get the exposure 1~2 points more than 0 in most situations except sunny landscapes.
5. Always carry the camera - you never know when you need it on a vacation. Also carry a hip holster kind-of easy case. SHOOT - dont feel shy or think twce - the moment may go forever
6. Unless you have an open background in a portrait, dont go below f5 on 18-55 zoom. Quite likely you will focus the subject poorly.
6. When shooting through a grill or a window, switch to manual focus.